Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Featured Father- John Carden

By John Carden

It all started on Dec 20th a day I will never forget as long as I live. My wife Tracey and I woke up around 8 am or so and started our normal routine. I was sitting on the couch watching Sportscenter and eating Fruity Peebles (it’s funny what you remember). At the time Tracey was 30 weeks pregnant. Around 9 am Tracey went to use the bathroom and came out with the most horrified look on her face and said "We have to go the hospital NOW". No packing, no picking up, no taking care of the dogs and out the door we went. On the way to the hospital I finally got her to tell me what was going on. She was bleeding and had no clue why but it was enough to warrant a trip to the hospital. Once we arrived at the hospital, they took her L&D and started running tests, doing ultrasounds etc. etc. After an hour or so and who knows how many tests they told us they were admitting her and would put her in a room shortly and have a doctor come by and talk to us. Finally we got into a room that would become our home for the next week. Shortly after that the doctor came around and said to us " Your baby is small and we saw some things on the ultrasound that concerned us. We are having a specialist come by to do more test and more ultrasounds to confirm what we saw. He will see you in the morning".

The next morning we meet another doctor and his nurse. They came in do an ultrasound and just left the room without saying much. About an hour later the doctor came back in and explained to us that while the placenta was forming it formed wrong and is cutting off the supply of the umbilical cord and right now our baby weighed somewhere around 2lbs. He said they would do two ultrasounds a day and if things started to look bad they would take the baby via emergency c-section. That day we met a lot of people including the person that would become our best friend Dr. Aggie. She was our Neonatologist and she explained everything that would happen if they had to take him via c section. Over the next several days they did two ultrasounds and never said a word except “Well it looks like it wont be today.” All that changed on Dec 25th. They came in to do the morning ultrasound which normally takes about 15 minutes but this day they started and two minutes later the tech was gone. A few minutes after that another tech comes in with Dr. Aggie and says "We can't let him stay in there anymore he will thrive more out than in at this point at noon we are taking you back for surgery.” Then Dr. Aggie told us the process and what to expect him to look like and he may not breathe. She was awesome there was no question left unanswered or no stone left unturned.

At 12:31 pm Dec 25, 2009 Tristan was born weighing in at 2 lbs 5 oz. It seemed like forever waiting for him to cry that first cry. Then when he did we knew we had a fighter on our hands because not only did he cry he yelled. One picture of him and he was off to NICU. At first he did really well. So well that even the doctors and nurses were surprised. We knew not too get excited because of the conversations we had leading up to this. So it is a good thing we didn’t because at nine days old Tristan took a turn for the worse. He became very ill after many tests over 24 hours the doctor sat us down and said words I still hear: "You will need to stay at the hospital tonight. He has a very small chance of making it through the night, and if he does and we can get him stable we are flying him to Children’s Hospital" At that time we found out Tristan had Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) and Disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC). Well he did make it through the night and they did fly him to children’s hospital where they did surgery to remove part of his intestine and get him back on track and growing. That is what he did. Two weeks after surgery they sent him back to his original hospital to finish growing. Then the happy ending 72 days after all this started it ended. They took Tristan off his monitors and we stayed in a room with him that night so we could take him home the next day. Now Tristan is a very happy and healthy 2 yr old that loves his older brother and fire trucks.

John's son Tristan

No comments:

Post a Comment